• My Candidacy Application Essay
  • Brett's Discernment

    For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and . . . and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.


    Duty vs. Call


    This is the cutest!! We are doing Pygmalion in AP, and this is one of the pictures I found.

    Am I now seeking human approval, or God's approval? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still pleasing people, I would not be a servant of Christ. 1 Gal 1:10.

    I definitely feel that bearing our cross as Christians means for a large part not conforming or caring about making others happy or pleased with our actions. But what about duties? I feel my call to the ministry, and I might, I just possibly, slight chance, might be dumping my duties and my students and colleagues. I will definitely be doing so the next year. I feel that I am living a facade by "pretending" that I will be teaching forever. I haven't lied about it, everyone just assumes.
    I know I should follow my call, and that my call will be what makes me feel most satisfied and happy and that I make a difference for God's community. And I KNOW teaching is that. but I don't believe in Latin anymore, if I ever really did.

    The hardest questions to answer regarding discernment and seminary is why I would leave teaching. And if I think that, why I began teaching at all. I guess I'm self-conscious in that I don't want to be seen as a quitter or someone who denies other gifts or other calls. I know that the ministry is not the only call, that people can be called to all kinds of things. But I know deep down that teaching is not my call. I really respect teachers like Dale and Lori and others who are clearly called to the profession and also uphold high values and really care about the job they do and their students. I guess I also want to be sure, because I feel people's thoughts wander to that I might be too weak for teaching - can I really handle the ministry. And can I? Well, that's where the Luther sola triad helps (grace, faith, word). I know that if I have faith, God will give me challenges and make me meaningful in his world. Only through his grace is any of this possible. And of course the scripture makes God's words come alive and clear (sometimes).

    As Erin said at work the other day, it is just a job, teaching, and ultimately you have to do what makes you happy. I am young and I have lots of time to think about my call, which I'm sure will develop and be shaped as I will over the years.

    I think a classic good verse for me to keep in mind during my discernment is also

    Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God�what is good and acceptable and perfect. Rom 12:2

    +

    0 Responses to “Duty vs. Call”

    Post a Comment



    © 2006 Brett's Discernment | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
    Learn how to make money online.