• My Candidacy Application Essay
  • Brett's Discernment

    For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and . . . and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.


    it all comes back to the table

    So between conversations at breakfast and lunch about having a campus pastor, occasionally heated, there was something else.

    As we do every Wednesday at 11:30, we celebrated communion together as a community. It was nice to celebrate feeling a part of the body of Christ in the chapel today. What a blessing to be focused on the centrality of baptism and the table. A blessing to hear the preaching of Dr. Sebastian within the Church of South India's order for holy communion. Blessing is in the sharing there, hearing the reminder of God's promise.

    That promise also comes at the table. Today a neat thing for me - Every other time we have had worship in the chapel, we have bread, usually baked by a student volunteer. But today, we had wafers, which the ministers broke in our open hands in giving them to us . . . That little symbol and taking the wafer in my mouth (as opposed to the bread I am so used to) really brought me back. It made me think of the church I grew up in, Messiah Lutheran, which has used wafers at least since my first communion, when I was in fifth grade. This wafer seemed so different that it reminded me of my first communion, of what it felt like, the mystery. It made me think of how lucky I am to have had parents that took me to church and have worshiped faithfully all their lives. It made me think of others, like Mrs. Gray who taught me in my first communion classes and was also a loving Sunday school teacher. She found me recently and reconnected after probably 14 years since she moved away. Baptized child of God, I am. I don't know how I feel still about the post I wrote earlier, at least 100%, but I will leave it up. I do know about these promises, and how God has shown me some little blessings today.

    0 Responses to “it all comes back to the table”

    Post a Comment



    © 2006 Brett's Discernment | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
    Learn how to make money online.