• My Candidacy Application Essay
  • Brett's Discernment

    For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and . . . and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.


    vocations conference candidacy retreat

    Candidacy for ordination in the ELCA is not one easy step or two and some time in seminary. My parents' continual question has been "Really? You have to do all that? . . . Seminary is four years? Then you get called to who knows where?" Friends have been supportive and continuously encouraged me that they feel I have gifts for ministry, but it is hard to explain to them the many steps of candidacy and the process all the way through ordination.
    I just returned from Vocations Conference, and I feel very blessed and supported in the process. I feel that these three years have made me so confident in my call. That has come from growing up in relationships and experiences I have had, having to make hard choices to bring me closer to my call, finding a new church where I knew no one and becoming involved as an adult, and feeling the Spirit move in ways hard to explain to increase my faith, especially when working for the church or ministering to others.
    The candidacy committee was extremely supportive and I was glad also in some ways that from when I entered candidacy till I enter seminary next year will take me two years because I feel like I know the committee much better and am more comfortable with the process. I will have my entrance interview and decision with the committee january 7th or 8th, and I cannot wait. I am so excited about getting it all moving, and having that first of three big candidacy decisions done. Yay! Alleluia!
    It was particularly exciting, among others, to see Kate and Pastor Ballentine there. Kate and I had a great conversation about Visions and Expectations and just about seminary life in general. Seems like even though I have been a bad friend and not kept in touch, we pick up where we left off and have really meaningful conversations, because we seem to have similar paths of discernment. Pastor Ballentine is simply amazing - having him as a pastor for my four years in the 'burg was the most formative part of my faith journey thus far. I think it was Spirit-led how his gifts, guidance, and mentorship matched up so well with the style of ministry which I most prefer and respond to. It is now a further blessing that he is the chaplain for the candidacy committee. I am really glad I got to speak with him and that he is healthy.

    Speaking of which, I thought his sermon this past Sunday was phenomenal on the Luke 12 reading.


    Though I am trying to find a more upbeat version, I really like the canticle of the turning. (click for mp3)


    Though I am small, my God, my all, you work great things in me,
    And your mercy will last from the depths of the past to the end of the age to be.Your very name puts the proud to shame, and to those who would for you yearn, You will show your might, put the strong to flight, for the world is about to turn.


    Peace <><

    0 Responses to “vocations conference candidacy retreat”

    Post a Comment



    © 2006 Brett's Discernment | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
    Learn how to make money online.