• My Candidacy Application Essay
  • Brett's Discernment

    For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and . . . and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.


    "The Preacher's Mistake" - a poem I like

    The Preacher's Mistake

    The parish priest
    of Austerity
    climbed up in a high church steeple
    to be nearer God,
    so that he might hand
    His word down to His people.
    When the sun was high,
    when the sun was low,
    the good man sat unheeding
    sublunary things.
    From transcendency
    was he forever reading
    and now and again
    he heard the creak of the weather vane a-turning,
    he closed his eyes
    and said, "Of a truth
    from God I now am learning."
    And in sermon script
    he daily wrote
    what he thought was sent down from heaven
    and he dropped this down
    on his people's heads
    two times one day in seven.
    In his age God said,
    "Come down and die!"
    And he cried out from the steeple,
    "Where art thou, Lord?"
    And the Lord replied,
    "Down here among my people."

    -Brewer Mattocks

    0 Responses to “"The Preacher's Mistake" - a poem I like”

    Post a Comment



    © 2006 Brett's Discernment | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
    Learn how to make money online.