• My Candidacy Application Essay
  • Brett's Discernment

    For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and . . . and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.


    Stop, hey, what's that sound

    Everybody look what's going down. . .


    there's something happinin here
    what it is aint exactly clear
    theres a man with a gun over there
    tellin me i got to beware

    i think it's time we stop, children
    what's that sound
    everybody look what's goin down

    there's battle lines being drawn
    nobody's right if everybody's wrong
    young people speakin there minds
    getting so much resistance far behind

    it's time we stop,
    hey what's that sound
    everybody look what's goin down

    what a field day for the heat
    a thousand people in the street
    singin songs that they carry inside
    mostly say hurray for our side

    it's time we stop,
    hey what's that sound
    everybody look what's goin down

    there are lawyer strikes deep
    into your life it will creep
    it starts when your always afraid
    step out of line the man come and take you away
    (Buffalo Springfield)

    It is so scary what is happening all over the world today. Maybe scary isn't the right word. Ungracious seems close. It is unbelievable. It is also unbelievable to me how our culture (and myself included) just continues with our MTV perspective mindset or so focused on the minutiae of our day-to-day ridiculousness. I want to know more, and yet it is so easy just to be comfortable in my life, my culture, my safety. Everyone is so blessed with what we all have, it is so far from my scope of reason to ever understand how people are actually able to go to war and kill in the cold-blooded reason of nationality or large-scale arguments which the people may or may not be a part of. Why do we hate on the basis of nationality.
    I understand the bravery and strength involved in serving one's country. I respect and support the military and military families. I just wish they never had to see action, and that it would be used as a true last resort. I don't think people foolish necessarily for being a part of the military, or more specifically, for defending their basic human rights. I know that my own privilege is a part of what makes me so far from being able to understand the rawness, the violence. But . I just can't ever see a killing, in the name of anything to be a part of God's will. Period. I don't think killing, in war, or even the anger and hate associated with it, can ever be a part of God's amazing, wonderful grace he wants for us all. And that's why I will never feel settled with it. Period. I said it. It's not a popular view to be a pacifist, but I'll own up to my feelings.

    I love that song above by Buffalo Springfield. I wish there was some way we could all just care a little more about everything going on outside of our little bubble. It is shameful how little I and my peers know and care. I want to give something, somehow. I will look into that.

    My favorite song on the new Dixie Chicks album is "I hope" - the lyrics relate back to this:
    Sunday morning, I heard the preacher say
    Thou shall not kill
    I don't wanna, hear nothin' else, about killin'
    And that it's God's will
    Cuz our children are watching us
    They put their trust in us
    They're gonna be like us
    So let's learn from our history
    And do it differently

    I hope
    For more love, more joy and laughter
    I hope
    We'll have more than we'll ever need
    I hope
    We'll have more happy ever afters
    I hope
    We can all live more fearlessly
    And we can lose all the pain and misery
    I hope, I hope

    God's grace is amazing. I am blessed with who I am and with the faith I am given. I know part of my sin is that of omission, of not being truly aware and caring enough about those around me. My dad and I were talking about current events and he said that this is the most scary, turbulent time in the whole world since WWII, and I agree. Everywhere is a powder keg. I know one thing I can do. I can pray for the leaders and the areas of the world.

    things can get better.

    I hope, I hope

    0 Responses to “Stop, hey, what's that sound”

    Post a Comment



    © 2006 Brett's Discernment | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
    Learn how to make money online.