• My Candidacy Application Essay
  • Brett's Discernment

    For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and . . . and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.


    Mere Christianity

    I know probably everyone has read this and may see my joy over this book as thus pedestrian, but whatever:

    Mere Christianity is amazing. I read parts of it a few years ago but didn't really pay enough attention.

    C.S. Lewis presents such a logical apologetic perspective of something I think we as Christians too often skip over entirely. Growing up Lutheran/Christian, I wasn't ever presented with a real apologetic for the basis of Christian belief. People go to churches seeking faith, comfort, truth, whatever, and they hear condemnation, denominational or congregational in-fighting, or obtuse or conceptual statements which may not flow with his/her visceral feeling of truth.

    (some?) People need an apologetic of Christian faith before they can take that leap. For many of us who grow up "churched," the apology/justification of faith follows through interpersonal relationships, crisis, prayer, or seeing grace through situations and others. But for those who do not grow up in the church, especially through talking to many of my friends, they want the "why" and the "how" of faith. And yes, as I talked about in an earlier blog, many Christians shun this search for a pragmatic apology of faith as untrue because of the visceral feeling of faith to them would be somehow lessened by a logical, pragmatic, secularly based justification for faith. C.S. Lewis proves that it does not, and it is the most powerful reading I have read in quite a while.

    I am also currently reading: (= good)(= this guy is crazy!! easy to tear down his argument) (= very good approach and read!)




    Another excellent book is The Naked Soul. This is an amazing book that changed my mindset about interpersonal relationships.

    0 Responses to “Mere Christianity”

    Post a Comment



    © 2006 Brett's Discernment | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
    Learn how to make money online.