• My Candidacy Application Essay
  • Brett's Discernment

    For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and . . . and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.


    A big decision

    I decided. I did it.

    I was surprised at myself that I hadn't been blogging about this in the last couple days, but I've had a lot of school crap going on.

    I was offered the job at Bear Creek Camp. But I turned it down. I was so surprised to be offered it, and enjoyed thinking of how fun it would be. In some ways it was my dream job . . . but in others it isn't my best choice at the moment, and I'm sure there are things that would be negative in it that I haven't considered.

    That being said, I really think outdoor ministry is important, and it would be a good calling for me. But more and more I feel pulled and satisfied with the idea of pastoral ministry, and I think in considering outdoor ministry as a long-term call has made me realize that I would miss some thing which I am eager to grow in through working as a parish pastor. Until this year, I was apprehensive about my ability to do some aspects of the job of a parish pastor . . . but especially in getting to know Pastor Bohannon, I've realized that I'm really called to be that to people, because I've grown in my faith and I know that it's not about me anymore - it's about God, and he always amazes me in how much grace he can show through me when I let it go.

    Pastor Bohannon's talk with me yesterday was important to me in a couple ways. He made me realize that although I am only 22, I need to consider the long-term as well, and that there is the possibility (which I hadn't thought of) to do outdoor ministry summer things or even possibly an internship. I didn't think of that, and at first I was excited at the thought of being able to be in seminary and also mesh some outdoor ministry into it, but then I prayed about it some and read some and thought about it and developed a feeling that I would love to do my internship in a parish and learn about the dynamics of it all, and take that on.

    Also, I really enjoyed Pastor Bohannon talking to me about the workings of CTK. I think he really talked to me as a person who wants to learn and was honest and open about the inner workings of a parish.

    So I am happy to start, really start, the candidacy process this coming year. I am excited to learn, I am excited to do my candidacy process in VA and be coming from the VA synod.


    I wish I had gotten the chance to talk to Pastor B (the original) before making the final decision, but I know I was mostly decided anyway. I really enjoy his perspective on things and the questions he makes me think about . . .


    Another goal for this summer, to add to an earlier blog entry, is to memorize some bible verses. And some complete stories. I really like memorizing things, I just need to commit myself to it.

    Peace+

    Amen

    0 Responses to “A big decision”

    Post a Comment



    © 2006 Brett's Discernment | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
    Learn how to make money online.